With much attention lately over North Korea and its evolving cybersecurity capabilities, we thought to cover a somewhat related topic. A couple of years back, the North Korean Red Star OS was described at the Chaos Computer Club conference. Among other things, they described the watermarking mechanism used by the OS to keep track of media files. Along with the OS, three kernel modules were identified that appeared to contain homemade encryption algorithms specific to Red Star OS.
Connect with Kryptos
- Emotet scales use of stolen email content for context-aware phishing, 12 Apr, 2019
- North Korean APT(?) and recent Ryuk Ransomware attacks, 10 Jan, 2019
- Emotet Awakens With New Campaign of Mass Email Exfiltration, 31 Oct, 2018
- Inside Look at Emotet's Global Victims and Malspam Qakbot Payloads, 01 Aug, 2018
- A Brief Look At North Korean Cryptography, 03 Jul, 2018